Besides




After Inertia I continued to write different things. At the time I was trying to put my energy into another narrative style poem film in the same vain as Inertia but on a larger scale. I continued to write generally but without any real theme in mind. It was these poems that in part came to form Besides.

During this time life shifted. I moved from Bolton, from living alone and doing a job that had no future for me, to Coventry where I was living with a group of musicians and creatives and arrived with a clean slate on the job front. Not long after I had been there and started to settle in I met a girl who turned my world upside down (in a good way though!) As a result though I no longer felt the urge to write poems around the previous themes of unrequited love, beauty in the mundane, etc. I lost steam on the larger project and felt the need to try and find out where my voice wanted to go next (if that doesn't sound too pretentious). At this point I had released Inertia on Amazon and wanted to draw a line under what I had done up until then and so decided to put together Besides.

I called it Besides as a bad word play on B-Sides. I saw this book as a collection of poems that didn't have a home anywhere else, like a B Sides album of songs that didn't make it onto the album.

Some of the poems are a bit more abstract and experimental concrete poems but also some of them have a fun element. My initial hope was that I could release it for free on Amazon to hopefully coax some people into buying Inertia. Unfortunately, I never figured out how to do this properly without somehow breaking the Amazon rules and so I released it anyway and it and it got favourable reviews from people so I am happy.

So yes, Besides. Check it out at any of the links at the side!!!

Comments

Popular Posts